Frequently Asked Questions
Protect your pipes!
- A trickle of hot and cold water might be all it takes to keep your pipes from freezing. Let warm water (a mix of cold & hot water) drip overnight, preferably from an indoor faucet on an outside wall.
- Keep your thermostat set at the same temperature both day and night. You might be in the habit of turning down the heat when you’re asleep, but further drops in the temperature – common overnight – could catch you off guard and freeze your pipes, Do NOT turn the heat lower than 65 degrees.
- Open cabinet doors to allow heat to get to un-insulated pipes under sinks and appliances near exterior walls.
- Be sure the heating vents are open in the kitchen, bathrooms, laundry rooms or any room where there are pipes, faucets, fridges with water lines, washing machines, etc.
- Remove hoses from outside faucets and be sure the faucets are off and the lines are drained if there is an outdoors sink.
- If you will be gone during periods of extreme cold, you or a roommate, friend, or family member should check on your apartment periodically. NEVER turn your heat off when leaving town, you might save a buck on the heating but it’ll cost you a whole lot more in damages if pipes freeze!
Please call immediately if you have an emergency. If it is after hours, call the office anyway, leave a message, and then try your emergency contact numbers. Email us a follow up. Someone will see it. We want to help ASAP. What qualifies as an after-hours emergency maintenance request? The following items constitute an “emergency” and should be called in immediately to receive service:
- No heat in winter (below 55 degrees inside for more than 24 hours)
- Broken or frozen water pipe (Have you connected your water? Could it be frozen? Be sure to keep water trickling in extreme weather and keep cabinet doors open to allow heat to circulate around the water pipes.)
- Water leak and/or roof leak (major – more than a minor drip),
- Gas leaks (contact Alliant at 1-800-ALLIANT (800-255-4268) immediately from a neighbor’s phone or from a cell phone used OUTSIDE the apartment).
- Electrical outage may be considered an emergency but only if there is no electricity throughout tile unit AND:
- you have checked all circuit breakers by flipping them hard to the OFF position and then hard to the ON position and have reset all GFI breakers (these are the little buttons sometimes found on outlets in bathrooms. kitchens. laundry rooms. and garages) OR any burned out fuses have been replaced.
- you have called Duke Energy (1-800-521-2232) AND Duke Energy is not at fault
- Clogged toilet (only if there is only 1 bathroom in the residence and you have already tried plunging it.)
- Any other condition which affects life, safety or is necessary to preserve the condition of the apartment. We also have a more complete list, including what is NOT considered an emergency (AC not working is one of them).
Hint: If you have time to look it up on the website, the problem is probably not an after-hours emergency. Thanks! We hope you never have an actual emergency, but if you ever do, please call us immediately. See your policies and procedures guide for a list of emergency phone numbers! If it is not an emergency, you can call the office at (608)755-0000 or submit a maintenance request online. How do I make a maintenance request? You may initiate a maintenance request online or by calling the office (812-339-2859). In the event the office is closed, please leave a message and we will return your call as soon as soon as we return. Unless the problem is an after-hours emergency, do not contact a repair person directly before contacting the office or you may be subject to paying the extra costs involved. All work orders need to be cleared through our office.
Billing and Accounts
When is my rent due? LEASE PAYMENTSARE DUE ON OR BEFORE the 1st of each month. All payments received after this date are assessed a late fee of $50. Returned checks (NSF) are assessed a minimum $40 fee + late fees. Any resident who has an NSF check must pay with money order in the future. If you pay individually, note that you are still co and several liable for the apartment and the rent. It is not our responsibility to tell you who owes what although we will try to help you sort it out if you run into problems. We record the checks that are received and the amount of rent is expected to be paid in full, regardless of who has paid what. Acceptance of late rent does not waive the rights of Woodsview with respect to the lease agreement. Failure to enforce late fees is not a waiver of rights.
Cable and Internet
How do I set up my utilities? Alliant Energy provides natural gas service and electricity to our apartments. We will set up service for you as part of the move-in packet. Charter provides cable and internet services to many of our apartments. You can visit Charter online. Star Satellite provides DISH Network services. Contact Star Satellite online to begin your service. AT&T provides local and long distance telephone services as well as high-speed DSL internet and TV in the Janesville area. You may set-up your service online.
End of Lease Reminders Are you moving? A few things to remember… RENEWING? To those renewing their lease, we thank you and look forward to continuing to work with you. Let us know if you need anything! ALREADY MOVED? If you have already moved out, please call our office to schedule your move out inspection. You can do it today! MOVING? For those leaving us, thank you so much for renting from Woodsview. We hope you have had an enjoyable stay here. We want to say good luck in the future to all those not returning. If you are moving, we have included some information about the move-out procedures to make that transition successful. You may wish to reread your lease as well. Key Move-Out Info
- Lease ends at noon! Be aware that the lease ends at noon on the last day of your lease, unless you renewed. Anything left in your apartment after your lease expires will be considered abandoned. We will not be responsible for damage or loss of your personal property left behind so this means nothing can be stored in your apartment after the lease expires. Possession reverts back to Woodsview at noon on the last date of your lease. If you have sold furniture to future residents, you cannot store the belongings in your dwelling unit as the new residents do not take possession or your dwelling unit on that day. Please call the office regarding such furniture and we will try to accommodate you. We have also listed phone numbers below of agencies that are willing to accept donations. Some organizations will even arrange to pick it up from you!
- All work must be completed prior to the move-out inspection or whatever work is necessary will be done after you move out and itemized on your security deposit statement. Security deposits will be mailed to the legal designate on the lease within 21 days after the lease term ends.
- Residents are responsible for scheduling a move out inspection during our office hours. You do not have to be present for the move-out inspection, however, do not forget to return keys, mail keys, and garage door openers to our office. The inspection must be scheduled at least 72 hours prior to move out. The move out inspection can only be completed when the unit is empty and keys are surrendered to the office.
Prepping-for-your-Move-Out-Inspection (Printable PDF) I got stuff. What should I do? Salvation Army: 514 Sutherland Ave. Janesville, WI 53545 (608) 757-8300 Goodwill: 2003 Holiday Dr, Janesville, WI 53545 (608) 758-8794 Tin cans, aluminum cans, clear glass, brown glass, green glass, and plastic containers must be recycled. All containers are to be rinsed. These items can be mixed together. Any and all non-soiled paper such as magazines, cardboard, newspaper, envelopes, food cartons, junk mail, paperback books, etc., are also to be recycled. Place them in the bin labeled “COMMINGLED RECYCLING”. Labeled recycling bins are located next to the large garbage dumpster. The city will issue citations for non-compliance. Residents are responsible for disposal of large items that do not fit in the dumpster such as couches, chairs, and tables. Please contact Rock Disposal for pick-up. Residents are responsible for any fees. Where can I find out about my security deposit from last year? We will MAIL YOU an itemized list of damages and deductions, if any, along with either your remaining deposit or an invoice for any costs over and above the deposit. This will happen within 21 days of the end of your lease. There are no exceptions to this rule. You can’t make it go faster by pestering us but doing so might just slow it down (and annoy people who are trying to move into their own apartments), So please bear with us 21 days. (In case you REALLY want to know). Here’s how it works. We walked through your apartment hopefully with you but if you weren’t available when the move out was scheduled then without you. We wrote down any damage we saw inside or outside the apartment. We have a nice, orderly form for doing this. We took pictures. After the work is completed, we take the move-out inspections and the previous move-in inspections and we compare them. We also compare the move-out inspection to any work you requested during the year. We then generate an itemized list of all the labor and materials used. We then mail that list along with a check or invoice to the forwarding address you provided us upon move-out. What if I think the itemized list of damages made to my apartment is wrong (for whatever reason)? Please send us a written request stating exactly what you think is wrong. We are happy to investigate your claim. Please don’t call us-it takes time to diligently investigate your concerns and we cannot do it while you wait. It is much better to generate a paper-trail and send us a simple note.
Brix is pleased to be a pet-friendly apartment community (breed restrictions apply). Your dogs and cats are welcome and we are sure that they will have as much fun living here as you!
Our pet-friendly apartments are the perfect setting for pet lovers wanting to enjoy the convenience of Brix Apartments.
Guest Suite Request